Saturday, February 15, 2014

Post #5


The most significant fact about Project Based Learning from the videos presented by Dr. Strange is that PBL students can become immensely more involved in their work given the freedoms they are given to complete them. First, as I have learned as an English student, it is always important to give thought to what audience you are presenting to. By requiring the students to share their work with more than just the teacher, they become more concerned about what they are creating. Also, through Project Based Learning, the children are given more freedom on what they work on. When the students are able to make their own choices on how to approach their tasks or are able to support a personal opinion of their own they become much more invested in the project because it is more personal for them. Last, I really found it interesting and believe it is incredibly beneficial for the students to work together and have in class critiques where every student is involved in meaningful discussion.


I also learned from these videos about how well third grade students are doing in Project Based Learning versus college level students, and I would like to make some points to defend college level EDM310 students after my viewing. One factor that needs to be taken into account is that most of these students learned the "old fasioned way," using text books and pen and paper. Some, like myself, have not been seeking out new technology and ways to use it for years whereas these children have grown up in this much more advanced technological age and are quite fluent in it already. Also, adult students at this stage have much more on their plates at this point in their lives. These include commitments such as other classes, work, family, money, and many other responsibilities that come with adult life. This is especially true for older, returning students! The students in this class and teachers do need to learn and expand and work hard to do this or not be in this class or profession. However, as reported in the video, Project Based Learning Part 1: Experiences of a 3rd Grade Teacher, we are at least managing to achieve the same as the nine year old children, some just as good, some just as bad, and not 100% completion on either side. So, please give us some thought and quit picking on us Dr. Strange!

4 comments:

  1. For one reason or another, I came across this post, and as I'm not meant to leave this comment for an assignment, I thought I should mention that fact.
    I really agree with your final paragraph about our lives been more strenuous than a 3rd graders. Your words have mirrored my own thoughts. I have often recalled the first day of class and his words about 9 hours of time a week and thought that was a conservative estimate. Especially when I have to drive to campus to complete an assignment on a Mac.
    Good luck with your life and learning curve. I hope it gets easier for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny,
    Although I am not assigned to you this week, I happened across your blog and all I have to say is THANK YOU! It is proven that younger kids are more susceptible to learning new information such as technology. We are learning these things for a reason. To help us in the new technology filled classroom- something that we did not grow up on. I am often offended when I am told that I am no smarter than a 3rd grader. I have encountered many more things in life than they have and I do not think it is fair for Dr. Strange to compare the two. Dr. Strange, I have enjoyed your class very much, but if you think 3rd graders are so smart maybe you would enjoy teaching them more than college level students. Thank you Jenny for your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for these extra comments! I really believe I could enjoy both Dr. Strange and this class because I do find them both incredibly interesting.. I work harder for this class than almost all my others and I too have to run around seeking a mac when needed. However, I do not believe that ridiculing students' short-comings compared to third graders is a very good strategy when seeking improvement from them. I am very happy to see that I am not alone in this thinking. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Picking on you? No. Just trying to get you prepared to teach in a very different world than the one in which you were taught!

    ReplyDelete