Saturday, January 18, 2014

Blog Post #1

I have to admit that I was warned about this class in the very first semester I entered into USA's College of Education. Two of the students who were taking the education class I was in were also enrolled in EDM 310 that term. The impression they gave was that they were being expected to produce an educational podcast with very little guidance from their instructor or even knowledge of what he was expecting of them. I now know that the class is not actually what I gathered from them, but at that time I was both frightened and inspired. I was frightened because being on camera is not something I prefer to do. One could describe me as the girl that always had her hand held out in front of the camera in all your pictures by the end of the night. However, I was inspired because I actually do enjoy following the You Tube podcast called vlogbrothers (who you may subscribe to through You Tube) which is basically two brothers that comment and educate on world events. I have enjoyed watching and learning from them, so with the vlodbrothers in mind, I had been trying to prepare myself for this class by thinking of interesting ways how to be on camera and of ways to avoid being the one directly on camera. These ideas varied anywhere from where I should place the camera, what I should ware, and what would a good background should be, and then to the ideas of me just having my boyfriend play his guitar with lessons in his lyrics or using my cats as characters.
Cat Teaching
I am relieved to find out this class is not only a podcast and that neither the world nor my cats will have to suffer from "Kitty Academy," but this is still like no other class I have taken before. I do feel overwhelmed and fearful that I will not be able to meet the requirements or standards needed to succeed in this class. I am not unfamiliar with blogs,computers, or to use of the internet, but I have not been in any classes so far that were so technologically based. I have even had trouble this week being introduced to a device called "The Clicker" used to answer questions for my drama class. For this class though, I intend to press on, to learn, to follow instructions as they come, to read and watch everything suggested, to pay attention to that Checklist Master, and to ask questions whenever given the opportunity. As far as questions go for right now, I am wondering if Google Docs are documents that appear on my Google Drive. I may have missed that one in class, but I look forward to my specifically assigned project to see if it pops up there. If that is not the case, I will definitely ask in class on Monday.

5 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed reading your two blog posts and getting to know you a little bit! You have inspired me to think outside of the box when creating my videos (I too have a cat-who is very interesting- who most likely will be somewhere in my projects). We share some common concerns with this class. I am worried (and sort of an OCD person when it comes to dead lines) about being late on projects/work. I am sure we will do just fine though! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I was frightened because being on camera is not something I prefer to do." You will be on camera, however.

    Oh my. Clickers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is blog post #2? Catch up while you can! Trust me, you won't regret taking taking this class come the end of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was under the impression that we do not recieve credit for ANY late work, so I figured I would put all my focus into keeping up. However, Should Ii go back and try to complete it anyway?

      Delete